777 Down?

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Re: 777 Down?

Postby 3WE » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:35 pm

Some links at the other forum (where there isn't so much drug advertising),showed pictures, with someone commenting, "Wow, that sure looks clean for having floated in the ocean for all those months...
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:34 pm

Piece of debris with Rolls Royce logo found on March 21 in South Africa. Connection with MH370 is being investigated.

AvHerald Linky with pictures.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:14 am

Find on Rodrigues Island (Mauritius) Apr 2nd 2016

On Apr 2nd 2016 a French couple spending holidays on Rodrigues Island (Mauritius) found a part on the beach of their hotel, which by its complex painted pattern is being suspected to be a cabin interior panel of a Malaysia Airlines aircraft (see below).

On Apr 3rd 2016 Australia's Transport Minister stated the part is of high interest for the investiation, the ministry is in contact with the Authorities of Mauritius to prepare the part for shipment to Australia.
AVHerald link with pictures.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:50 pm

Dang,

not even this board could unravel de mysteries surrounding MH370. There goes my last hope.

:mrgreen:
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:42 pm

Dang,

not even this board could unravel de mysteries surrounding MH370. There goes my last hope.

The real mystery is, where have you been? Good to see you're alive!
Per

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:54 pm

Dang,

Per
Indeed!

Did I ever get to express my love of the instrument that you use as a username?

I don't play it, nor seek out concerts, but anything that involves volume and movement of large amounts of air...(not unlike aircraft engines) is cool. That being said, I do own MSOS (actually, it's just an electronic piano...but the pipe-organ setting is pretty fun!

Pipe organs are generally more in tune, and capable of a wider range of frequencies too.

ZilogMan

Postby ZilogMan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:43 pm

Hey, good to hear from you!
Don, Say Hi to Amelia Earhart for us...

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:00 pm

Dang,

Per
Yep, alive. Still in Brazil, but preparing an exit strategy from this eternal kindergarten country. Pretty much like you leaving the Phillippines some years ago. I have had it ...

Pitty to see this board so quiet. And you didn´t solve the MH-370 puzzle, too. Shame on you. :mrgreen:
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:31 pm

Dang,

Per
Yep, alive. Still in Brazil, but preparing an exit strategy from this eternal kindergarten country. Pretty much like you leaving the Phillippines some years ago. I have had it ...

Pitty to see this board so quiet. And you didn´t solve the MH-370 puzzle, too. Shame on you. :mrgreen:
We've left so many places we're like gypsies. Settled down now, maybe.
Where are you planning to go next?
Per

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:42 pm

Still in Brazil, but preparing an exit strategy from this eternal kindergarten country.
Will you be bringing your sweaters with you?
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:21 pm

Still in Brazil, but preparing an exit strategy from this eternal kindergarten country.
Will you be bringing your sweaters with you?
Verbal,

how did you make it to 3308 posts on THIS board?

Ah wait .....
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:24 pm

Per
No firm planning .................. yet. Maybe I pay a visit to TDU. ;)

Now that we´ve sucessfully hijacked this thread .... :mrgreen:
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Yes.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:25 pm

Per

I almost met TDU during one of my visits to Perth, did not quite work out. Wish you better luck.
Per

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:26 pm

Yes.
Many posts, not so many words. ;)
Per

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:23 pm

Many posts, not so many words.
Concur.

Thunder Down Under

Postby Thunder Down Under » Tue May 17, 2016 9:01 am

Per

I almost met TDU during one of my visits to Perth, did not quite work out. Wish you better luck.
Per
Will make it work this time now that I have finished with work. ;)

TDU
I don't have a plan........therefore nothing can go wrong.....

J

Postby J » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:20 pm

Third Piece of Debris Confirmed to Be From Missing Malaysian Jet

(with image)

SYDNEY, Australia — The Australian government said on Friday that a piece of debris that washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius in May was from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

The debris, identified as part of the trailing edge of the rear spar on the left wing of the plane, contained parts and serial numbers specific to the missing jet, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau said in a statement.
The latest debris is the third part to be formally identified as from the plane, although the Malaysian government has said additional pieces of flotsam have washed up along the coast of several African nations. Some of those may still be identified as coming from the jet.

In its statement, the transport safety bureau said the debris found on the shore of Mauritius on May 10 had serial numbers and identifying marks similar to those on another piece of debris identified in September as part of the right wing flap of the missing plane. That debris, found in late June, washed up on the Tanzanian island of Pemba. The first confirmed piece of debris from the plane was found in July 2015 on the French island of Réunion, also off the east coast of Africa.

Although searchers scoured hundreds of thousands of square miles of the southern Indian Ocean from the air in the first weeks after the plane disappeared, no debris was found during those surveys.

Since then, ships fitted with deepwater sonar equipment have swept nearly 43,000 square miles of sea floor along a remote, narrow arc of water off Australia’s west coast.

In July, ministers from Australia, China and Malaysia agreed that unless credible evidence of the plane was found on the seabed, the search would be suspended in December. None of the debris has so far helped the authorities refine the search area for the missing jet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/08/world ... .html?_r=0

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:25 pm

Aliens.

J

Postby J » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:51 am

MH370 out of control and spiraling fast before crash, new report says

Excerpt with photos of debris, search data and a link to Australian Transport Safety Bureau Report http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5771773/ae ... ov2016.pdf:

A new report released by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) on Wednesday provided the clearest picture yet of the missing plane's final moments in March, 2014.

"Additional analysis (of) the final satellite communications to and from the aircraft is consistent with the aircraft being in a high and increasing rate of descent at that time," the report said.
Additionally, the wing flap debris analysis reduced the likelihood of end-of-flight scenarios involving flap deployment."

According to end of flight simulations run by the ATSB, the plane was spiraling in its final moments, descending at up to 25,000 feet per minute (284 miles per hour).

Airlineratings.com aviation expert Geoffrey Thomas told CNN the report debunked theories that the pilot had been flying the plane when it landed in the sea.

"The really important news in this report is that the flap found in Tanzania was stowed. Therefore there was no way this airplane was being flown by anyone," he said.

"It was out of control, ran out of fuel and spiraled into the sea at high speed."
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/02/asia/mh37 ... ng-report/

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:20 am

I like all of this extremely specific data..."284 MPH", Today I saw drawings of spiral tracks. "The flaps were up, therefore no one was flying."

Weren't the flaps up when FO Germanwings ran his 321 into the hill?

I'd like to claim that this indicates a conspiracy (for grins), but I'm thinking it's just the media not letting facts get in the way of a good story.

elaw

Postby elaw » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:03 pm

I'm as skeptical of the media as anyone, but that number did come directly from the ATSB report.

Remember also the two magical words next to it: "up to". Just like when the store has a sale for "up to 30% off", there's one item 30% off and all the rest are 5% off. :roll:
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:30 pm

I'm as skeptical of the media as anyone, but that number did come directly from the ATSB report.

Remember also the two magical words next to it: "up to". Just like when the store has a sale for "up to 30% off", there's one item 30% off and all the rest are 5% off. :roll:
I think 264 knots is what you get when you convert 25,000 FPM (25,000 probably offered as a very rough estimate) to KPH...I guess I should run the math.

Then the report writer didn't understand the nuances of significant digits and estimates....250 knots or perhaps 'greater than 250 knots' is what they really wanted to convey...and frame it as what might be possible from a typical, spiral dive after loss of all power...

Just me being nit-pickty....

J

Postby J » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:43 pm

New analysis reaffirms likely MH370 location (April 21, 2017)
CANBERRA, Australia -- Analysis of a genuine Boeing 777 wing flap has reaffirmed experts’ opinion that a missing Malaysian airliner most likely crashed north of an abandoned search area in the Indian Ocean, officials said Friday.

The $160 million search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 ended in January after a deep-sea sonar scan of 46,000 square miles of ocean floor southwest of Australia failed to find any trace of the Boeing 777 that vanished with 239 people aboard on March 8, 2014. But research has continued in an effort to refine a possible new search.

Australian government oceanographers had obtained a wing flap of the same model as the original and studied how that part drifted in the ocean, the Australian Transport safety Bureau said in a statement. Previous drift modeling used inexact replicas.

The new analysis confirmed findings released in December that the airliner had likely crashed north of the searched area.

The December findings were based in part on drift analysis of six replicas of a piece of Flight 370 known as a flaperon which was found on Reunion Island in the west Indian Ocean in July 2015.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia-ai ... -analysis/

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:42 am

How long do the recorders last at that depth?

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”