Space Travel Science Fiction Television

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Space Travel Science Fiction Television

Postby 3WE » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Anyone here trying to watch the new "Star Trek Discovery" or Seth McFarlane's "The Orville"

My $0.02: The Orville is not funny enough to be funny nor serious enough to be serious, and is not striking any 'magical balance'. Yeah, there's an occasional funny moment, but, the rest is pretty predictable and lame.

The Discovery premier was painful...incredibly slow, with LONG runs of SSSLLLOOOWWW Klingon talk with subtitles. Yeah, cute and all that there's a totally artificial language, but it needs to be limited to short clips. Plus, even the English speaking good guys...talk talk talk, and logic logic logic, but not particularly engaging.

I think I'll be sticking to reruns or posting garbage on aviation fora for my entertainment.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

elaw

Re: Space Travel Science Fiction Television

Postby elaw » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:40 pm

I watched the first episode of Orville and... meh. Then watched the second episode and liked it better. It's definitely a bit strange but I'm reminded of ST TNG that took most of the first season to "find itself".

As bad/weird as it may be, it's nice to see something that's not just the standard "let's see how many people we can kill in a given amount of time" with some tech in the background that usually passes for sci-fi these days. :(

I should also admit I'm a total "Family Guy" fanboi so I'm probably inclined to give Mr. MacFarlane more slack than I might give others.

Re "Discovery"... I'd be interested if it was available on one of the streaming services I already pay for, but I'm not going to shell out $$ to another service just for that.
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:05 pm

no
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:28 pm

I should also admit I'm a total "Family Guy" fanboi so I'm probably inclined to give Mr. MacFarlane more slack than I might give others...
Concur, but feel that "The Orville" is falling way short of "Family Guy"

Frankly, I think Not_Karl, you and I could spend about 30 min and come up with "The Wilbur" and be more entertaining.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:07 pm

Frankly, I think Not_Karl, you and I could spend about 30 min and come up with "The Wilbur" and be more entertaining.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm currently working on a drama based around the struggles of a jetphotographer whose dream is to get a picture accepted there. It's going to be called "Mission: Impossible".

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:44 pm

I like "The Orville" so far. It's a lot luck Star Trek but with more-or-less normal people. I'm a bit on the fence about Seth as a live-action actor, so I wonder if it would be funnier with someone else playing lead, but we'll see what develops.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:21 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I'm currently working on a drama based around the struggles of a jetphotographer whose dream is to get a picture accepted there. It's going to be called "Mission: Impossible".
I have been giving this hours and hours of thought.

There is a very obvious choice for a theme song...

BUT

I wonder if this might work better as an alterative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhlPAj38rHc

I can imagine a climax scene of a beaten and sunburned jet photographer with a bloody right index finger from snapping and editing pictures within guidelines pictures finally getting his photo accepted... Will he yell "I love you Adrian?" or is that too dark of a subject?

elaw

Postby elaw » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:00 pm

is that too dark of a subject?
PUN ALERT!

PUN ALERT!

PUN ALERT!

:mrgreen:
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:32 pm

I have been giving this hours and hours of thought.

There is a very obvious choice for a theme song...

BUT

I wonder if this might work better as an alterative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhlPAj38rHc

I can imagine a climax scene of a beaten and sunburned jet photographer with a bloody right index finger from snapping and editing pictures within guidelines pictures finally getting his photo accepted... Will he yell "I love you Adrian?" or is that too dark of a subject?
On a lighter note, I read the Parlour talk comments under the YouTube. I believe we need to solicit all of those people to join ad.info AND Jetphotos.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:21 am

is that too dark of a subject?
PUN ALERT!

PUN ALERT!

PUN ALERT!

:mrgreen:
As long as the subject is Not_backlit and the picture was taken in RAW format and not JPEG, it may be salvageable.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”