Railroad Thread

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Re: Cowboy Train Engineers

Postby 3WE » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:34 pm

initiate a retraining effort with a spiffy, impactful name!
I suggest "Go slower and live".
One of the maddest I ever got with Evan was that in 197? something when the US enacted the 55 MPH speed limit, our highway deaths dropped markedly...but he was totally insistent that the two were not linked.

I get it that there may not be 5000% direct absolute PROVEN cause and effect linkage, but the link seems a hell of lot stronger than global warming...

Footnote: On the one hand, I think we are killing many multiples more people with 'total train disasters' (vs. air disasters), but conversely, it's also amazing how we crash a trainload of several hundred people at 80 to 100 MPH, but kill so few (I think 3 in this case).
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

J

Re: Railroad Thread

Postby J » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Happily the early-morning train was not very full of passengers. Here is some recent news coverage including a view of the brand new locomotive that flew down the embankment. The locomotive appearing in much of the news coverage was located at the rear of the train. The cars used on this train are of lighter construction than standard equipment and so require a locomotive at each end to protect in the event of a crossing accident with a large vehicle.
While this must have been quite a ride for the crew and passengers I suspect some of the vehicle drivers weren't planning for a train to suddenly fall onto the roadway in front of them.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... picks=true

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:37 am

Maybe we should install automatic speed control in all trainies and subject motormen to physical punishment.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Maybe we should install automatic speed control in all trainies and subject motormen to physical punishment.
I hate to sound like Evan, but yeah, how many folks do we have to kill before investing in some I-phone apps to track train speeds and sharp curves and signals (and check takeoff performance)

...AND...

...as Gabbie said a long time ago...the system where the human is still the primary operator, but the automation is double checking stuff.

Regarding Evan's comment there that Cowboy Train Engineers are texting hot women, how does he know they are doing that and NOT reading aviation safety discussion forums on their smart phones?

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:39 pm

I hate to sound like Evan, but yeah, how many folks do we have to kill before investing in some I-phone apps to track train speeds and sharp curves and signals (and check takeoff performance)
So Evanie, Threewee and Not_Karlie CONCUR. Should we celebrate or worry?
Regarding Evan's comment there that Cowboy Train Engineers are texting hot women, how does he know they are doing that and NOT reading aviation safety discussion forums on their smart phones?
I remember a crash where the engineer was texting a trainie enthusiast. I hope that nobody here or there texts pilots while in critical phases of the flight :roll: (such as standing on an active taxiway).

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

3WE

BAN ALL TRAINS!!!!!

Postby 3WE » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:52 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-caroli ... 45912.html

However, they are safer than private aircraft...

What little I know of train operations is that there are more than enough rules and procedures put Evan in heaven...but the human factors and Swiss cheese still align.

Not_Karl

Re: BAN ALL TRAINS!!!!!

Postby Not_Karl » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:45 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-caroli ... 45912.html

However, they are safer than private aircraft...

What little I know of train operations is that there are more than enough rules and procedures put Evan in heaven...but the human factors and Swiss cheese still align.
Install TCAS on all trainies?

elaw

Postby elaw » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:25 pm

Train crash avoidance system? :lol:

Kidding aside, I think the fact we've been implmenting PTC for decades now and it's still not done shows how much the railroads and our country care about this... :x
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Train crash avoidance system? :lol:

Kidding aside, I think the fact we've been implmenting PTC for decades now and it's still not done shows how much the railroads and our country care about this... :x
3BS is trying to be mostly serious...Aside from some outstanding 'subways' and shuttles between closely-situated megalopoli, Rail travel is a near total disaster of a business model...

"For the same price as Flyboy and Dummy, we can get you there much more slowly"...(sure the seat pitch beats the hell out of airlines, and the scenery is generally better on cloudy days, and you don't have to worry about takeoff flap configurations, nor relentless pull ups...just that someone has the switch set right and the driver isn't confused about the speed limit, and trust that they do the proper brake-test procedure during the crew change)

AND THEN, the whole thing operates in the red, with significant government subsidies...that are shrinking regardless of whether Savior Barak or Savior Donald are in charge...so when you need new engines and new cars and union crews and faster tracks and rent from a private RR while you mess up their 30 MPH freight trains...the electronic wizardry lags behind a bit.

Plus, even with PTC, I think more crashes are idiot cowboy car and truck drivers at grade crossings...Yeah, there's plenty of $ to convert all grade crossings to some sort of bridge...

J

Postby J » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:26 am

Positive Train Control is mandated by Congress to be installed on all passenger routes and certain other routes handling above a certain volume of hazardous materials. I read the signal system (which would have warned the passenger train that a switch ahead (appears to have been misaligned) was out of service to install or test PTC. If true, talk about ironing.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:44 am

...the signal system...was out of service to install or test PTC.

If true, talk about ironing.
Wow :-(

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:25 am

Wait, how can they legally operate without signals?

J

Postby J » Fri May 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Here is additional coverage of the restoration of the Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy 4014.

May 10 announcement of its participation in the 150th anniversary of the Golden Spike Ceremony commemorating the completion of the first transcontinental railroad. http://www.kgwn.tv/content/news/Big-Boy ... 06071.html

Short Videos of Boiler Restoration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdScWfMg4mg and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWcs1aNCzVY

Short Video on Rebuilding Front Engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkbGoSKVumI

Video of another steam locomotive managed by the same company
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whcHZntoduE

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri May 11, 2018 5:07 pm

Steam is most beautiful and massive.

However, I also get the feeling it is HHHHUUUUGGGGEEEELLLLYYYY inefficient.

J

Postby J » Fri May 11, 2018 8:57 pm

It is indeed but who's counting.
I can't remember if I posted this before but here is a smaller lococomotive climbing a hill in Wyoming with a freight train back in 1991. The light gray exhaust at the top of the climb shows when the fireman is doing his job. This locomotive is in the same shop as Big Boy awaiting some heavy maintenance.

If you don't feel like waiting until the end I'll note that there is no diesel helper on this train.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhgHrDbN4EU

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Sat May 12, 2018 10:35 pm

But is nice and quiet, we could talk normally in the engine room while the triple compound engine was running at max.
Per

J

Postby J » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:10 pm

The attached photo shows 3 RAF Tornado jets flying over a locomotive named Tornado. The UK has long named their locomotives. Tornado is especially interesting because it is only a few years old. A group of serious enthusiasts raised enough money to build a brand new locomotive from the original drawings. It regularly operates in the UK at speeds approaching 100 mph.
The Royal Air Force is decomissioning their fleet of Tornado jets and for three days this week selected aircraft flew over the various RAF sites in England and Wales. As there is an RAF base at Leeming Bar they flew overhead on Tuesday. This gave the Wensleydale Railway a chance to position steam Locomotive TORNADO directly under the flight path before it returned to its base on Wednesday.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/688479/

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:17 pm

Hong Kong tries out a new signalling system for the subway: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-47607676

KPryor

Postby KPryor » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:13 pm

Didn't know there were rail fans here. I have tons of videos and photos I've taken of trains. Here's all my train videos on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... EnORokZXu-
I went to prison for murder, but I stayed for the chili!

J

Postby J » Fri May 03, 2019 12:36 pm

The UP 4014 (4-8-4-4) locomotive made its first test run on May 2 after restoration. It will soon be heading to Ogden, Utah to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the golden spike ceremony that opened the first transcontinental railroad in 1869. Below is a link to an excellent photograph of it leaving Cheyenne as it did hundreds of times beginning in 1941. Following that is a short video - skip ahead about 40 seconds if you just want to see the train moving. The diesel locomotive at the rear is idling - probably brought along "just in case" on this test run. Perhaps they placed it in dynamic braking at one point to provide a load to test the capabilities of the steam locomotive.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/695987/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=casVwvtmhgk

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Fri May 03, 2019 4:38 pm

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri May 03, 2019 5:18 pm

Fixed.

Many areas of the engine are over-exposed.
Background clutter on right.
The AD cropping rules were violated- please none of that 1/3-2/3 type of stuff (which I also fault for being more like 3/4 1/4 on this one).

J

Postby J » Fri May 03, 2019 9:57 pm

Fixed.
Many areas of the engine are over-exposed.
Background clutter on right.
The AD cropping rules were violated- please none of that 1/3-2/3 type of stuff (which I also fault for being more like 3/4 1/4 on this one).
OOF. Tough crowd. There are a lot of photos being posted. I prefer this one a few hours later showing some leaks and grime. This machine now looks like a working locomotive rather than something stuffed and mounted. If you look at those large steam supply pipes above the men it is pretty amazing the complex ball joints can handle 300 lbs of steam pressure.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/695998/

elaw

Postby elaw » Mon May 06, 2019 1:53 pm

Yay, the coal economy is coming back! :roll:

Kidding aside, I'm impressed and pleased they were able to bring that thing back to life. I'd love to see it in person one day... :clap:
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

J

Postby J » Mon May 06, 2019 7:42 pm

The two operating steam locomotives (and a diesel, just in case) are heading out to Ogden Utah. Below is a particularly noteworthy photograph of early sunrise. Both locomotives have been converted to fuel oil so much of what you see is condensation.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/696292/

Return to “Off Topic Forum”