PANIC AT TORONTO!

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

monchavo
Site Admin

PANIC AT TORONTO!

Postby monchavo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... on-airport

Nobody injured. Exciting visuals. PANIC INSIDE!!
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

3WE

Re: PANIC AT TORONTO!

Postby 3WE » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:06 pm

This is interesting!

There’s all that talk how jet fuel is non explosive (not saying it is), but it sure seems easy to ignite based on this picture...

Don’t think they were going THAT fast to be generating massive sparks and huge tank ruptures with huge clouds of atomized fuel spray.

Is there some French engineering bashing material here? They crashed that 727 in a desert and I recall minimal fire (except for some problems shutting down an engine).
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Ok, I read (there) that they munched the wing tip into an APU, so a reasonable way to support a small fire... previously discussion retracted and the photos are poorly lit...

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:31 pm

It does appear that the wing tip strikes the rear part - that is how I interpreted it with these passenger eyes. What irritates me hugely is the panic within the cabin and the excitable idiots that stand up and start freaking out. :oops:
____

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:06 pm

***What irritates me hugely is the panic within the cabin and the excitable idiots that stand up and start freaking out. :oops:***
We have made way too many jokes about this subject over the years.

Personally, I still struggle with what one should do.

There have been those fires where little inefficiencies in evacuation kill people... "You gotta be off in 90 seconds." (That phrase is pounded routinely, and the damn planes do seem rather flammable.)

There's even written advice to screw over your fellow man, climb over the seats, trample the women and children and save your own a$$ while everyone else politely screws around with calm exit. :shock: :o :? (Brian seems a bit into trampling at times, but only for laptop retrievers).

Many crashes come to mind, but the guys at DFW who messed up the flaps and botched a compressor stall comes to mind. Everyone survived "the crash", 13 died at the jammed back door.

Then we contrast...

Pissy little fire. Probably the PERFECT time to grab your laptop and carry on (sorry Brian). Take turns going down the big slide. Start planning the vacation you will take with the VERY NICE voucher you will be getting- Call the wife to share the great news.

The best procedure...

...wait for those two highly trained experts up front to tell you what to do.

(That is true, but hell, they are not perfect and they are not in the back of the plane, AND they have their Evan checklists to run). It probably wasn't relevant in the DFW crash, but conversely, they didn't have that kind of time to waste.)

Finally, there is "freak out/panic" vs. "be firm and loud" and how do we tell the difference.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:16 pm

Ok, Now that I have made an uninformed comment, I LISTENED TO the tape. I do get you on the screaming and yelling; however, the ACTIONS seemed fairly calm.

Perhaps they recognized that they had JUST taken their coats off, and might have to go slide down the slide into the remarkable cold snap that has been gripping NA...might make me scream.

Tell you what I hate- is the dang door-bell tone for the crew to have secret phone conversations. That SUPPOSEDLY calm sound so the pilot can tell the hostile's to "save themselves", instead of being transparent and going on the PA.

Quote = "How 3BS THE OUTSIDER thinks it should be done:"

"OK, folks, give the FA's about 10 more seconds to open the doors and pop the slides and then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a calm and orderly, but quick exit down the left side slides, and 3BS and Evan...don't even THINK about grabbing your carry on, I know where Brian lives and will personally go get him to put foot prints on you and get Boeing Bobby to zip tie you guys..."
But no, it's 30 seconds of UNINFORMED PASSENGERS "Ding dong...ok, don't do anything yet, we need to run our checklists"......pause......."Ding dong...ok, get ready, in 15 seconds I will make a PA announcement to evacuate via the left exits..."

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:16 pm

A lot - and I mean a lot - of different factors depend on how people will react.

- Who is on the plane and how prone they are to panic
- What is the context of the flight (start, middle, end) and how has it been
- Time of day - "awakedness" of people
- Cultural issues and readiness to panic

Panic is self-indulgent a lot of the time.
____

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:55 pm

Were all carry-ons succesfully evacuated?
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Any Donkeys involved?
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Any Donkeys involved?
Donkeys, no. CB-pulling monkeys, probably.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”