Pilatus crash, blizzard, SD

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Pilatus crash, blizzard, SD

Postby 3WE » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Sounds like a do it yourselfer who wanted a flying 12 passenger Ford Econoline.

Crashed shortly after takeoff in “blizzard like conditions”.

Several did died, but a couple of survivors.

Due to there being survivors, I will speculate that the crash basically happened on takeoff.

Then again, engine failure would fit.

Icing? Spatial disorientation with failure to activate autopilot? Less likely?

The pilot known as “a good, careful pilot”? Probably.

Get there itus? I find that concept true, but much much less clear than it used to be.

Would this crash “never happen to me” (or Gabieee or Ericee)...other than the obvious answer, who knows.

Would this crash never happened to flyboy?

I’m sure it would not, BUT because of his genius and honed airmanship, OR because he’d avoid single engine general aviation in significant weather like the plague?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

KPryor

Re: Pilatus crash, blizzard, SD

Postby KPryor » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:40 am

It was a family hunting trip using the corporate plane. Last I knew, the pilot hasn't been identified but it was believed it was one of the family who was a certificated private pilot with IFR.
Metar at around the time of the crash was this: K9V9 301835Z AUTO 02006KT 1/2SM SN OVC005 01/01 A2930 RMK AO2 T00080008
Not exactly the kind of conditions I'd want to take off in, especially carrying a significant number of family members on board. I read that this airport has no hangars and no ability to de-ice and aircraft.
I'm betting spacial disorientation with a touch of ice/snow contamination on the plane.
I went to prison for murder, but I stayed for the chili!

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:56 am

I would welcome flaming, but I didn’t think an instrument takeoff was that big of a deal (as Bobby wants to make it).

Slightly tougher spatial disorientation, but watching an attitude indicator and keeping FDnH is pretty damn basic...not very different from initiating a climb in IMC.

I did a few hooded takeoffs and the objective was to pretend you hit unplanned zero visibility and maintain Uber precise headings so you don’t go off the side. Disclaimer- light and shadows makes a hood marginally effective.

Ok, talking in circles as a botched takeoff is on the short list of speculation.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:31 pm

I'm assuming at least some of those kids were lap children, because there is no way you can shove 12 seats into a PC-12.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:42 pm

I'm assuming at least some of those kids were lap children, because there is no way you can shove 12 seats into a PC-12.
Gabe provided this link, there,: http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/11/p ... ident.html

Not really "lap children", and if the hunt was successful, passengers, guns and game...Weight and Balance becomes suspect.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:44 pm

Gabe provided this link, there,: http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/11/p ... ident.html

Not really "lap children", and if the hunt was successful, passengers, guns and game...Weight and Balance becomes suspect.
Flyboy has a point though. The maximum seating of the PC-12 in high-density config is 11 including the 2 seats in the front.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Flyboy has a point though. The maximum seating of the PC-12 in high-density config is 11 including the 2 seats in the front.
Indeed, and, moreover, very few in the US are in that configuration. Most are either club or combi config.

Looking at the family photo, the littlest boy might have possibly been on someone's lap, he looks around 4 years old, so I suppose that's possible. Still, that's an awful lot of people for that airplane.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:29 pm

Indeed, and, moreover, very few in the US are in that configuration.
That's what I guessed. I think Boutique Air has some with this high-dens confing and some in the high-dens club* that seat 10 total. But then that's an airline!

*(there is another less cramped club config that seats 8 total, which I guess is what most private owner/operators would have)

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:33 pm

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Repor ... l&IType=MA

Reminds me of this guy who managed to shove 14 people on a PC-12.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:42 pm

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Repor ... l&IType=MA

Reminds me of this guy who managed to shove 14 people on a PC-12.
And the cause was failure to add fuel deicer and mismanagement of a fuel imbalance. Fascinating.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:11 am

Today’s learning is that Mr. Airbus FCOM and automation regurgitator has never considered the calculated risk that a school bus of nuns gets lost on a runway with 0.5 miles visibility during takeoff OR landing.

For the first time I see flyboy’s assertion that the userid might represent be two persons.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:27 am

For the first time I see flyboy’s assertion that the userid might represent be two persons.
Sweet King Kamehameha, only took you close to a decade!

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:38 am

Sweet King Kamehameha, only took you close to a decade!
Indeed.

Please note that while my perception was lacking, my attention to the teachings of the ISGPOTM was fairly good.

3WE

F.A.O.: flyboy

Postby 3WE » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:09 pm

As Bobby reminds me, I have never truly "done it" professionally, therefore I have one specific question...

Is a plane that sat out all night in sub-freezing weather snow going to NORMALLY require a simple, but good sweeping of everything off?

OR

Will there LIKELY be snow that sticks to the wing and creating a possibly a dangerous scenario, that would require a proper, formal deicing procdeure with fluids?

Thanks in advance.

flyboy2548m

Re: F.A.O.: flyboy

Postby flyboy2548m » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:30 am

As Bobby reminds me, I have never truly "done it" professionally, therefore I have one specific question...

Is a plane that sat out all night in sub-freezing weather snow going to NORMALLY require a simple, but good sweeping of everything off?

OR

Will there LIKELY be snow that sticks to the wing and creating a possibly a dangerous scenario, that would require a proper, formal deicing procdeure with fluids?

Thanks in advance.
For me. the answer is very easy. Such an aircraft will require de-icing with Type I fluid. If when we come to the airplane, there is still active precipitation, it will also require Type IV anti-icing.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:20 pm

I tried Yayhoo/Google for the Iced Hawker...but mostly remember the upside down Continental DC-9.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:57 pm

I tried Yayhoo/Google for the Iced Hawker...but mostly remember the upside down Continental DC-9.
I punched a date range from 1990 to 2010, and there is nothing even close. I have a sense he made it up, just like the supposed three frozen gear events NetJets had in one day.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:57 pm

I have a sense he made it up, just like the supposed three frozen gear events NetJets had in one day.
I'm sure there may have been an actual crash of some actual business jet somewhere with ice as a root cause...his memory as to the type and location, may not be accurate.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:57 pm

I have a sense he made it up, just like the supposed three frozen gear events NetJets had in one day.
I'm sure there may have been an actual crash of some actual business jet somewhere with ice as a root cause...his memory as to the type and location, may not be accurate.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:32 am

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:35 pm

Errrr...

So, it was exposed to snow, frost? and ice?, but they spent ~3 hours working on it, but apparently they stalled out from seemngly contaminated behavior.

Weight and balance data would be nice- it probably didn’t help.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”