When the magenta line goes blank...

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

elaw

When the magenta line goes blank...

Postby elaw » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:34 pm

HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: When the magenta line goes blank...

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:45 pm

We should enforce iPad redundancy.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:50 pm

That was interesting.

Last week we were discussing cryptic basic instruments vs HSIs, and people dixing up reft and light.

I can see where an iPad might be able to spit out a moving map magenta line that would work wondrously for situational awareness and pretty damn adequate for not_hard IMC…

…and I remember a text-only GPS (that would take over the VOR needle)…not_fancy.

RNAV is a pretty fancy deal to have fixes on top of fixes and software to string them together…why buy the approved machine when you can “fake it” on an iPad.

Just so I’m not super stupid- the guy was NAVIGATING with the iPad…not just using it as a lightweight Jeppsen binder…Correct?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:32 am

Just so I’m not super stupid- the guy was NAVIGATING with the iPad…not just using it as a lightweight Jeppsen binder…Correct?
Apparently. But there seem to be a lot more issues as well, e.g. he was also apparently unable to fly the approach according to the plates, or even to follow vectors. Nor is it clear why, given a critical equipment failure, he didn't declare an emergency or divert. Maybe he thought he'd get in trouble if he declared an emergency and he was found to be operating illegally, but it's not like he's not going to get in trouble after talking about it on the radio... plus it's much better to get in trouble than to get yourself killed.

also the recording seemed to mostly only include the ATC side of the comms, which is suboptimal for understanding what actually was happening...

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”