A flyover of a different kind

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

elaw

A flyover of a different kind

Postby elaw » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:20 pm

HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

3WE

Re: A flyover of a different kind

Postby 3WE » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:44 pm

Hell-better Aeroangineeries: Bank angle is DIRECTLY related to G…Regardless of aeroplanie type or size, right? (And ass-uming a coordinated turn.)

Thus, their excitement over the 45-degree bank might be a bit overly dramatic for those of us who did steep turns to pass tests…

Of course, with classic FOFFIE mistrust of piloties, FBW, wing spars, cheap composites, stohls, and sinking feelings in our stomachs from 23A, I guess I’ll say OK.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:15 pm

Hell-better Aeroangineeries: Bank angle is DIRECTLY related to G…Regardless of aeroplanie type or size, right? (And ass-uming a coordinated turn.)
To be more precise... at constant vertical speed (including zero as a possible constant).
You can bank 60 degrees, keep it coordinated but not_pull up and remain at 1G. Of course the nose will go down and the sink rate will increase.
Thus, their excitement over the 45-degree bank might be a bit overly dramatic for those of us who did steep turns to pass tests…
What I see in the video: a plane turning with a nice view.

I don't know if you can inhibit the bank angle alarm, because it didn't sound (which if the alarm was functioning it would have done at 35 degrees of bank).

Regarding test, here in the US you have this stupid thing that steep turns for PPL are 45 deg and for CPL 60 deg. For me, while a 45 degrees bank was considered steep, you had to demonstrate steep turns with 60 to 70 degrees of bank.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:34 pm

I have minimal fear of steep banks and don’t give a flying phugoid what angle the test standards prescribe,

It’s all about the fundamentals to me, that doing steepie banks low and slow is not_good.

Just like go-arounds and shear avoidance being the same thing, power up, pull up (aggressive-but-measured), FTGDA, avoid the agricultural soil, and Gabe says, “If you gotta crash, it’s better to be in control, as opposed to stability-degraded situation’s around stalls.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:28 pm

I have minimal fear of steep banks if I’m doing them.
Fixed.

I do not_trust Bobby, ITS, flyboy or Otto.

elaw

Postby elaw » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:09 pm

But do you trust AI?

'Cause from what I read, by next week AI will be doing everything. We just have to sit on the front porch all day sipping a mint julep, and watch the dollars roll in.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:31 pm

But do you trust AI?
I trust that 99% of the time, AI will keep things at 25 degrees or less…

But, the 1% “what’s it doing now”…is disturbing…

It doesn’t really matter but squid programming, or maybe just the AI, on its own, decides it WANTS to did died us.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:59 pm

Was playing a bit with Chat GPT yesterday. I asked for the sequence of notes for The Star-Spangled Banner. Said sure, here it is, and gave me a sequence of notes for not_The Star-Spangled Banner. I pointed it out and it said sorry, my bad, here you have the correct one. Which was another not_correct one. Like this for 4 or 5 times. I told it's hallucinating and it said sorry, it can only do things that were available in the database on which it was trained. I asked if the The Star-Spangled Banner was in its training database and said most certainly yes since it is a very old song that was recorded many many times and sung by millons on a daily basis. So I asked why it can give me the correct sequence and it said I can, here it is, and gave me more BS. I asked for the sequence for happy birthday and, to my surprise, it gave me the correct one. I asked why it is able to give me the correct sequence for happy birthday but not for The Star-Spangled Banner and it said I can, here it is, and gave me more BS. I was so close of stall-spin-crash-bunr-did-dieding my computer.

elaw

Postby elaw » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:42 am

Was playing a bit with Chat GPT yesterday. I asked for the sequence of notes for The Star-Spangled Banner. Said sure, here it is, and gave me a sequence of notes for not_The Star-Spangled Banner. I pointed it out and it said sorry, my bad, here you have the correct one. Which was another not_correct one. Like this for 4 or 5 times. I told it's hallucinating and it said sorry, it can only do things that were available in the database on which it was trained. I asked if the The Star-Spangled Banner was in its training database and said most certainly yes since it is a very old song that was recorded many many times and sung by millons on a daily basis. So I asked why it can give me the correct sequence and it said I can, here it is, and gave me more BS. I asked for the sequence for happy birthday and, to my surprise, it gave me the correct one. I asked why it is able to give me the correct sequence for happy birthday but not for The Star-Spangled Banner and it said I can, here it is, and gave me more BS. I was so close of stall-spin-crash-bunr-did-dieding my computer.
I'm thinking that used-car salespeople should be very worried...

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:16 am

Cool story bro (and I mean that literally and not_in the snarky, dismissive discussion forum
Context)

We band people tend to have the SSB in a couple of different keys- it might be fun to give it a key.

That being said (and you mathamotishins know this), it can be in any key, so if Chat ATC says “yeah, here you go, and you should get the melody, even if it’s in the key of Q, R or H, sharp, flat, or something in between.

I really don’t like the ramifications of this AI stuff to www.internet.com, customer service, and medical diagnosis.

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:11 am

I don't know if you can inhibit the bank angle alarm, because it didn't sound (which if the alarm was functioning it would have done at 35 degrees of bank).
It was chanting "bank angle" though. (And why was that audible in the cabin?)

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:11 am

Was playing a bit with Chat GPT yesterday. I asked for the sequence of notes for The Star-Spangled Banner.
Sounds about normal

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”