Wheel well stowaways

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Rabbi O'Genius

Wheel well stowaways

Postby Rabbi O'Genius » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:57 am

Apparently one of them dropped into a London street last sunday.
Interesting article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19562101
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne

Sickbag

Re: Wheel well stowaways

Postby Sickbag » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Only a 24% chance of survival but when you factor in there will be no fat bastards or crying babies sitting next to you I'm liking those odds.
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Only a 24% chance of survival but when you factor in there will be no fat bastards or crying babies sitting next to you I'm liking those odds.
And... you get to pre-board.

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:26 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/se ... NTCMP=SRCH

More details and somewhat grisly image!

Phil Baum nails it for me on this whole thing: "as not more shock and awe in the industry at the breaches of security: "If anybody from outside the airfield can climb into the aircraft, they can potentially secrete something far worse. If we're not detecting human beings, we're not necessarily going to find an improvised explosive device, which can be as small as a radio."

i guess you could jump in, duck tape 4-6lbs of semtex to the wheel well and a timer or whatever and be done... -_-
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:53 pm

The lucky thing is that the flights originating from such places are rarely the targets that the terrorists find high-profile enough, I guess.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:52 am

But you won't be able to get that photograph of a seat-back tray, plastic cup of coke and a wadded up, single-serving bag that once contained mini-pretzels.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:45 am

But you won't be able to get that photograph of a seat-back tray, plastic cup of coke and a wadded up, single-serving bag that once contained mini-pretzels.
Indeed. Also I've heard the IFE sucks.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:07 pm

What's the carry-on limit for wheel wells?

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Indeed. Also I've heard the IFE sucks.
I dunno, views of the earth straight down from that altitude has to be quite some IFE..... Note to self: BRING OWN OXYGEN.
____

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:17 pm

The lucky thing is that the flights originating from such places are rarely the targets that the terrorists find high-profile enough, I guess.
You mad, son? It doesn't matter where the originating country is. You just need a cell to have an inroad, some explosive, the tech and the backup to make it happen. It's actually an interesting vector, I wonder if we'll see it exploited any time soon... ?
____

Rabbi O'Genius

Postby Rabbi O'Genius » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:49 pm

You mad, son? It doesn't matter where the originating country is. You just need a cell to have an inroad, some explosive, the tech and the backup to make it happen. It's actually an interesting vector, I wonder if we'll see it exploited any time soon... ?
Indeed, and UTA 772 was probably a pretty good example of this.......
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”