MSFS is back

Post tips, stories, questions, or screenshots related to Flight Simulation software.

Moderators: Pipe, ZeroAltitude

Gabriel

Re: MSFS is back

Postby Gabriel » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:25 pm

Can't wait for your YouTube video
Ask and ye shall receive! https://youtu.be/Ad9DX6LBSJU
Impressive! The flying in IFR looked very realistic, as well as the bumps. I started to suffer for spatial disorientation!!!!

Also, although the frame rate was not superb, it was still very for the high quality of graphics, especially considering that you don't have a latest high-end card.

Regarding the flying skills and technique, I will let Not_Karl and 3WE to comment on that:

Not_Karl: "Ban all airplanes"
3WE: "You didn't follow the type-specific procedures stipulated in the Cessna 172 POH revision 3.5.1.12"

elaw

Postby elaw » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:42 am

Regarding the flying skills and technique, I will let Not_Karl and 3WE to comment on that:

3WE: "You didn't follow the type-specific procedures stipulated in the Cessna 172 POH revision 3.5.1.12"
Say what? I started the engine and released the e-brake before taking off. Is there' something else you're supposed to do? :lol:
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:08 am

I may be either super or ultra jealous and envious :mrgreen: .
Fixed
Maybe :mrgreen:
Can't wait for your YouTube video
Ask and ye shall receive! https://youtu.be/Ad9DX6LBSJU
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
The biggest annoyance I've found so far is how long it takes to do things in 2020...
Does it load from your drive only, or also from them interwebz?
Not_Karl: "Ban all aeroplanies, computeries and approach lighting systems!!!!!!"
Fixed.
Is there' something else you're supposed to do? :lol:
I will ask Evanie for the correct procedure for landing on the ALS and let you know.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

elaw

Postby elaw » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Does it load from your drive only, or also from them interwebz?
There's network activity during startup, but I don't think there's a large quantity of data going in either direction. Fraction-of-a-second spikes to about 5 Mbps max but most are 100 Kbps or less. Definitely no sustained data transfer.

I should say that's just getting to the main menu. If you then go in and select a flight in an area that's not in the local scenery cache, presumably it would have to download scenery.

elaw

Postby elaw » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:51 pm

Hey if anyone's interested, I more or less recreated that flight in FSX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMCUoahwI0k

The frame rate wasn't as bad as I expected, but the difference in the visual quality is stunning.

Not_Karl

F.A.O.: Aussies

Postby Not_Karl » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:52 am

Nice skyscraper you have in Melbourne, but it would be even nicer with trees.
Hey if anyone's interested, I more or less recreated that flight in FSX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMCUoahwI0k

The frame rate wasn't as bad as I expected, but the difference in the visual quality is stunning.
Cool! :clap:

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

elaw

Re: F.A.O.: Aussies

Postby elaw » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Nice skyscraper you have in Melbourne, but it would be even nicer with trees.
"Landing on the Melbourne Citadel in Microsoft Flight Simulator" a.k.a. "Why helicopters were invented"

elaw

FS2020 doesn't like me

Postby elaw » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:42 pm

Well, as far as FS2020 is concerned, the shine is off the apple, the honeymoon period is over, and I'm pretty sure it's dead rather than pining for the fjords. :( That or... it's "systems failure" model is incredibly realistic.

Right from the get-go, it had some weirdness with keyboard controls. The "pause" key is supposed to control "active pause" but almost never would do anything. Every now and then it would appear to work if you pressed it repeatedly, but if you pressed it repeatedly some more to "unpause", the game would end up in this weird state where the airplane was flying but would not respond to any flight controls.

Then yesterday I was flying the 787 over NYC when something similar but different happened. The plane was on autopilot and I tapped the key to increment the heading bug (<left shift> + \ + F3 + F4 + F12 + num "*" + <enter> + scratch your left ear) when all of a sudden the bug went nuts and started spinning around the dial like someone's head in a horror movie. For several minutes after that, the game would not respond to any controls... no response to the joystick, and I hit (and released) nearly every key on the keyboard without any effect. Eventually it got to a point where a few things would work, like <esc> to pause the game but nothing else. I closed the program, re-launched it, same result. Closed it again, rebooted the computer, re-launched, same result.

Then I went into the Windows "apps" screen, "advanced options" for FS, and tried "repair" and "reset". After that it would not launch at all... when I clicked the icon it would pop up two of those "Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer" prompts, I'd hit "yes", then it would pop up a message saying "this app can't open".

The above all was yesterday afternoon. This morning I tried launching again and got a different result: one "Do you want to allow this program..." prompt, then the program appeared to start, but after the usual several minutes' delay it displayed a "content manager" window and apparently I have to download the entire game again. Yay. :( I should add here that I absolutely 100% for sure did NOT uninstall the program!

</end rant>

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:32 pm

I told you, wait for SP2.
You are being a victim of the unofficial delta testing that is done with the initial paying customers who detect and hopefully report the teething problems.

elaw

Postby elaw » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:56 pm

Yeah, I'm not patient enough to do that. :lol:

Honestly I've bought many editions of FS in "version 1.0" and have never had nearly this much trouble. A few glitches yes, but nothing of this magnitude.

But there is good news... the reinstall seems to have fixed it. The fleet is no longer grounded and although I haven't gone and looked, presumably the fjords are once again there. :mrgreen:

It's interesting what was preserved and what was not. For example my saved flights are gone, but most of my control customizations seem to still be there.

KPryor

Postby KPryor » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:22 am

Another complaint I've heard about it from people who fly on VATSIM, the taxiways are all just randomly labeled and do not correspond at all to real life taxiway designators. That's gonna make it tough for VATSIM controllers to give FS 2020 pilots taxi instructions since the controllers rely on actual taxiway designators. Apparently they are correct in the big airports they did "by hand" so to speak, but for all the others they don't match up.
I went to prison for murder, but I stayed for the chili!

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:51 am

The video we were all waiting for. I'm Not_impressed.
Unless you surround yourself with monitors which I'm not really in a position to do.
Why Not_? It looks awesome!! and you only need minimum desk space :mrgreen: .
You are being a victim of the unofficial delta testing that is done with the initial paying customers who detect and hopefully report the teething problems.
From what I read, paying customers being beta testers and/or huge patches shortly after release are pretty common these days... :(

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:59 am

No obelisco :(
Why Not_? It looks awesome!! and you only need minimum desk space :mrgreen:
I am curious about 2 things (hones ones):
1) Evidently he is using different computers to have enough graphic cards to control that many monitors. How are they synced? I guess that MSFS can be running in only one of them?
2) How does the desk supports the tonne of CRT monitors of the style of the Syncmaster 3? They were super heavy!

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:51 am

MSFS Benchmarks with a bunch of graphics cards on 1080p, 1440p, and 4K, medium and ultra details. Interestingly it is (at least for now) DirectX 11 exclusively and fully utilizes only 4 CPU cores.
No obelisco :(
Aside from Puerto Madero, the Monumental and a few buildings, it looks pretty flat :( .
I am curious about 2 things (hones ones):
1) Evidently he is using different computers to have enough graphic cards to control that many monitors. How are they synced? I guess that MSFS can be running in only one of them?
2) How does the desk supports the tonne of CRT monitors of the style of the Syncmaster 3? They were super heavy!
The answer to 1), which I didn't know before, is on the monitor on the top: WidevieW.
WidevieW is a Flight Simulator add-on that can be used to create virtual cockpit with panoramic scenery view, up to 360°, using multiple monitors on networked (LAN) computer. There is no limit on how many PCs can be linked together, and each of them can be configured to show scenery, maps, Spot Plane or Tower view. View angles and zoom factors can be easily customized, to get images merging perfectly between the monitors or video projectors.

Widetraffic is an optional module for WidevieW which ensures AI and multiplayer traffic synchronization throughout the local area network (LAN), so the same airplanes fly at the same time and place on every computer. Since version 1.2, Widetraffic synchronizes also the airport vehicles and, thanks to a distrubuted client and server processing, improves the performance of Flight Simulator when lot of AI Aircrafts are displayed.

Get rid now of the limitations of multiple monitors connected on the same computer and use your LAN to expand your cockpit until space and budget allows! Compatible with Flight Simulator X, FSX Steam Edition, Prepar3D (both 23 and 64bit releases), Microsoft ESP and FS2004.
Seems pretty cool :clap: .
As for 2)... We don't know how long that desk lasted before in-(simulated)flight structural break-up :? .

elaw

Postby elaw » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:29 pm

Heh... it's apparent that FS2020 is very popular, resulting in a lot of activity on faux-aviation fora. And clearly I'm not the only one having issues, resulting in amusing threads like this one titled "Workarounds for 747-8 autopilot bugs": https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5821 ... ilot-bugs/

Some higlights:
  • "AP tries to flip the plane upside down when turning"
  • "Altitude HOLD mode does not hold altitude"
...and more. You really have to wonder how they went about testing this thing... those issues seem pretty basic! :?

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:46 pm

Some higlights:
  • "AP tries to flip the plane upside down when turning"
  • "Altitude HOLD mode does not hold altitude"
...and more. You really have to wonder how they went about testing this thing... those issues seem pretty basic! :?
Isn't that how real Boeings work?

elaw

Cheap crackerbox composites? Not in FS2020!

Postby elaw » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:46 pm

elaw

This is hilarious

Postby elaw » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:38 pm

2020 has this "active pause" feature which keeps the aircraft in one position while everything else in the "world" continues... including the"flight" of the aircraft. It enables some interesting things: https://youtu.be/ddV_R6Bv5L0

Watch the engine gauges and airspeed after the throttles are advanced...

Not_Karl

Real travel is now obsolete.

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:06 am

elaw

Postby elaw » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:29 pm

Yeah the scenery definitely needs some work.

The stonehenge photo reminded me of this: https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/ ... ng_clocks/ :lol:

elaw

OMG this is great

Postby elaw » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:23 pm

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:48 pm

That 3D food looks even worse than the real flight meals.

Not_Karl

Crappy computerie?

Postby Not_Karl » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:31 pm

elaw

Postby elaw » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:07 am

Hey for anyone who's bored, I just uploaded another video, now that I know how to use the sim about 2% better than I did before.

Take a tour of London! https://youtu.be/1TCfD9ETpLI

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Nice! Are you flying with AP or what? It has a "plane or rails" feeling.

Return to “Flight Simulator Discussion”