Important Improvements at Flyover[/blue font]

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Important Improvements at Flyover[/blue font]

Postby 3WE » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:48 pm

It appears that we are redoing many of the taxiways between Runway 12R-30L and the "midfield" taxiway. (Old and new photos below).

I know there's always been a myriad of exits from runway 12R-30L to the ramp- many left over from olden days of a different concourse layout and a once full-length Runway 17-36 (now completely gone). Maybe it was confusing, but for 50 years, I didn't see anything being done about it.

Now, for seemingly 2 years, Runway 12R-30L has been essentially out of service with all sorts of upgrades.

Question to flyboy: Do you see these taxiway changes from numerous, frequently angled taxiways to a more regular, 90-degree crossing as an important, much-needed improvement.

I suppose this could all be in the name of safety- that a 90-degree intersection provides better visibility for crossing. Theoretically 12R-30L is now a mostly takeoff runway- conversely, during good weather, I would think folks would prefer being able to land on it. There was even an operational situation of Landing on 12R with 12L being departures, and vice versa for NW winds. (Taxi advantages).

With the new 11-29, there's supposed to be double ILS available in hard IMC (but even that is a special Reduced-Separation procedure.) However, 29 is a crappy place to land- AND it doesn't work great with departures off of 30L.

Anyway, we Americans can know that our taxes and landing fees are being put to good use, redoing taxiways that worked ok since the late 1950s.

Off topic, STL had a runway incursion crash when there was a runway 13-31 (the taxiway immediately north of 12L-30R was designated as a runway for smaller aircraft). A dude in a conquest was cleared into position on 31, but THOUGHT he had permission for 30R.

Anyway: Here's the pics of these important improvements:

Old configuration:
Old Flyover.JPG
Old Flyover.JPG (243.27 KiB) Viewed 558 times

Current construction:
Current Flyover.JPG
Current Flyover.JPG (269.57 KiB) Viewed 558 times

Footnote: I know you guys really care about this. I might double-post it there, thinking that LSD-744 might actually get off on it.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Re: Important Improvements at Flyover[/blue font]

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:00 am

Question to flyboy: Do you see these taxiway changes from numerous, frequently angled taxiways to a more regular, 90-degree crossing as an important, much-needed improvement.
Not really, I prefer high-speed taxiways, generally speaking.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Re: Important Improvements at Flyover[/blue font]

Postby 3WE » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:26 pm

More talking to myself, but I marked the taxiways that are being redone and eliminated. The westerly ones were strange, angled things.

But the elimination of the SE one (not sure what was so bad about it. Also, it seems that 30L could use a second entrance (like it as on the 12R side to help sequence departures. Again, ALL that effort to redo taxiways that have worked for 50 years, but they won’t add that second entrance that so many other airports have.. And I can even imagine a need to send a plane over to 30R when one is already in the “on deck circle”

Aw well, it is Flyover and it is the gubment…

IMG_0519.jpeg
IMG_0519.jpeg (248.21 KiB) Viewed 140 times

3WE

Flyover taxiway destruction project.

Postby 3WE » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:43 pm

The more I look, the more eliminated taxiways I find.

Another item I’ll mention is that the 12L 30R high speed taxiways are usually missed by “real” airliners. For ALL that concrete work, I’d think they’d add a couple more high speed turnoffs.

Also, I have not mentioned the rework of the far NW taxiway. While I see that it’s a theoretical benefit to operations, it’s used very little- I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a plane on it.

IMG_0519.jpeg
IMG_0519.jpeg (246.59 KiB) Viewed 133 times

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”