Radio Protocol

Have a question regarding commercial aviation? Get an answer from a real airline pilot!

Moderators: el, ZeroAltitude, flyboy2548m

3WE

Radio Protocol

Postby 3WE » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:39 pm

I tuned in LiveATC.net yesterday to listen to approach control as airplanies worked their way into Flyover International.

I was surprised to see about 15% of aircraft responses did not read back ATC instructions. I thought we had decided that 99.999999% of the time the pilot should read back the instruction from ATC.

Am I wrong that readbacks should happen almost all the time?

I also noted ATC instructing pilots to go to ILS fixes while conducting visual approaches...I guess I need to read some of the nitty gritty rules that when you are on a visual approach, you still need "the approach plate" (or your nave system) fired up to be able to go to fixes.

I also noted that frequency hand offs usually ended with something OTHER than "good day". "Last century" it seemed that 90% of the time a frequency change ended with "good day". Also whenever the phraseology and efficiency Nazi's speak up- I thought stuff like that was frowned upon...like the words "with you" or "checking in"...

JMO- some of that is over kill.

There is a question here, see paragraph 3, take care, thanks.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Re: Radio Protocol

Postby flyboy2548m » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 pm

Depends on your definition of almost.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Depends on your definition of almost.
How about 95% of the time planes read back instructions instead of 80%.

I did not count the actual occurrences, but I was surprised at 90 degree turns and altitude assignments being given and the acknowledgement was just the flight number...It was happening a lot and I was mildly surprised.

Of course, I am pretty old...In the 1970's I recall that keying the mic twice while saying nothing was a common response.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:23 pm

I did not count the actual occurrences, but I was surprised at 90 degree turns and altitude assignments being given and the acknowledgement was just the flight number...
That's not as surprising as an alleged former paramedic apparently not being aware that airport fire units don't just do aircraft crash rescue, but are responsible for all fire and EMS work on airport property (and sometimes within a certain area surrounding the airport also), is it?

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:57 pm

I did not count the actual occurrences, but I was surprised at 90 degree turns and altitude assignments being given and the acknowledgement was just the flight number...
That's not as surprising as an alleged former paramedic apparently not being aware that airport fire units don't just do aircraft crash rescue, but are responsible for all fire and EMS work on airport property (and sometimes within a certain area surrounding the airport also), is it?
The stranding incident admittedly sucks...However, that thread is quite the hot stinking mess of divergent opinion.

Maybe there's some agreement that there should be physical punishment.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:09 pm

The stranding incident admittedly sucks...However, that thread is quite the hot stinking mess of divergent opinion.

Maybe there's some agreement that there should be physical punishment.
I'm particularly fond of the notion that each airline that happens to be a member of an alliance should not only maintain a fleet of aircraft and crews to back up their own flights that may have gone tech, but also enough such aircraft (and crews) to back up their partners as well.

Sorry for the thread drift.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:45 pm

Yes.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:19 pm

I am happy that your question was answered regarding when a readback is required and when and when an acknowledgement is enough.

Return to “Airline Pilot Q&A”