Harrowing screams form Learjet pilot

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Re: Harrowing screams form Learjet pilot

Postby 3WE » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:12 pm

Me too... intentionally.... sometimes... It is not the bank what increases your stall speed but the pull-back. So lettings the nose go down and gain speed is a good way to avoid stalling.
Nitpicking: If you are already slow and have draggy flaps and a big comfortable aeroplanie, and electric trim and light control forces, I would caution you to not blindly drop the nose, but instead monitor and adjust airspeed (just like always)

/pedant…
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:58 am

Nitpicking: If you are already slow and have draggy flaps and a big comfortable aeroplanie, and electric trim and light control forces, I would caution you to not blindly drop the nose, but instead monitor and adjust airspeed (just like always)
Well, the times I did that intentionally I was not in a big and comfortable aeroplanie with electric trim and all that.

I only used it when I had (or decided) to bank more than 30 degrees in the pattern and I was already at 70 kts ( which happens to be ~1.4 Vs, which has the desired margin only in up to 30 deg bank turns).
"Decided" applied (sometimes) for "I was overshooting the runway centerline in my base-to-final turn"
"Had to" applied for when practicing a 360 approach. Do you ever have that here in the North? The 90, 180 and 360 approaches? They are (or were?) part of the PPL syllabus down there.

I also did it in other more random times... not intentionally.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:37 am

Well, the times I did that intentionally I was not in a big and comfortable aeroplanie with electric trim and all that.
I should have been more verbose:

A big comfortable airplane with electric trim makes it easy to be complacent- you may not notice or feel it.

A nasty little Cessna with draggy flaps and no extra power isn’t going to build big fat safety buffers, and may also let go on that base to final turn, even though you drop the nose a little.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:45 pm

And you'd be already established on final by then or you can be already at Vref and still have significant turns to make? (like base to final)

(Sorry, I intended to ask at what point in the circuit pattern rather than what altitude, I realize that I was not clear)
I can carry as much as Vref+15 if I need it past 1,000' if the specifics of the approach require it. I should still have no problem being at Vref by 500". An example would be at LGA for the Expressway Visual which has since been replaced by RNAV Visual. I can carry extra speed until I finish the turn at the second Home Depot and still be good by 500'.
Thank you.

When you do that, are you following any specific procedure or similar that "mandates" that or are you using your judgement and airmanship?

Again, asking because in that video every airline pilot said that the maneuvering speed in a minimum, and I could not find any reference to any maneuvering speed other than Va (the structural maneuvering speed, which is a maximum).

Yes.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”