Lukashenko vs. Ryanair

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

ocelot

Lukashenko vs. Ryanair

Postby ocelot » Sun May 23, 2021 8:42 pm

Seems that Belarus forced a flight to divert in order to take a political prisoner. Not the first time someone's been arrested out of a diverted flight, but I think it might be the first time a flight was forcibly diverted specifically for the purpose. Not a good scene, anyhow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57219860

3WE

Re: Lukashenko vs. Ryanair

Postby 3WE » Mon May 24, 2021 8:31 pm

Disturbing.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Mon May 24, 2021 9:14 pm

[Copying from the other thread I needlessly started]

State hijacking and kidnaping

I don't feel like joking about this. It is to me an attack on a sovereign state (the country of the operator) and equivalent to a declaration of war.
And it can likely send a man to the death penalty for the crime of exercising free speech.
And I hope I am wrong when I say that nobody is going to do anything except "protest vigorously against this heinous act".

http://avherald.com/h?article=4e7d7208&opt=0

Mr. Snappy
Your Forum Comrade

Postby Mr. Snappy » Mon May 24, 2021 9:32 pm

Is not true

Is not hijack

Is American propaganda
I like Mick Mouse

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Tue May 25, 2021 5:03 am

EU sanctions are out. All Belarus airlines (of which I think there are like 1) are banned from EU airspace and airports. That sends a very clear message to those eve considering doing this again the future: Go ahead, we will take strong symbolic measures but nothing of substance.

How about AT LEAST they also banned all EU airlines from flying to Belarus together with banning all flights departing from or with destination or stopover in Belarus from flying over the EU? That would at least be an annoyance for Belarus since people would have flight would need to drive/fly to/from Smolensk or Moscow (200 and 400 miles from Minsk respectively) to connect Belarus with the western world via air. With the current regulations you can still have straight-line non-stop flights between Minsk and anywhere in the world including the main EU capitals provided that it is not in a (the) Belarus airline.

Shame on you EU!

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue May 25, 2021 3:30 pm

[Copying from the other thread I needlessly started]

State hijacking and kidnaping

I don't feel like joking about this. It is to me an attack on a sovereign state (the country of the operator) and equivalent to a declaration of war.
And it can likely send a man to the death penalty for the crime of exercising free speech.
And I hope I am wrong when I say that nobody is going to do anything except "protest vigorously against this heinous act".

http://avherald.com/h?article=4e7d7208&opt=0
Duly noted.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue May 25, 2021 5:00 pm

Duly noted.
Fascinating reply, there.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”