At last. Biden Speaks on the Economy

Politics is continually a popular topic of conversation at AD.info, and to allow our members to discuss it, we've created this forum.

Moderators: FrankM, el

Sabre

At last. Biden Speaks on the Economy

Postby Sabre » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:09 pm

When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of reed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'
Hmmmm, what's wrong with this?

Again, he is a nice guy but my father is a nice guy too and he is not running for VP.

Putt4Par

Re: At last. Biden Speaks on the Economy

Postby Putt4Par » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:41 pm

Yes, Biden has had his "speech" issues too, but that doesn't justify Palin. And at least he has a little more experience!

That is why the VP debate will be fun to watch.

tds
Location: ...a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm

Postby tds » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:47 pm

When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of reed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'
I think you mean 'princes of greed', but even the best of us make silly errors. ;-)

The VP debate will indeed be a blast.

Sabre

Postby Sabre » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:58 pm

I think you mean 'princes of greed', but even the best of us make silly errors. ;-)

The VP debate will indeed be a blast.
Good catch; what's really funny is that this was a cut and paste job from http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washing ... n-fdr.html, which has the word correctly spelled. How I managed to drop a letter from mid quote is beyond me. Maybe the Times fixed a prior error on their part. ;)

I didn't include the link initially as I was only attempting to quote Biden and not reference the LA Times material.

tds

Postby tds » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:03 pm

Maybe the Times fixed a prior error on their part. ;)
I think that's highly likely. You do see egregious errors in online journalism (from supposedly quality sources) surprisingly often.

Half Bottle

Postby Half Bottle » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:06 pm

The thing about Biden is that he often says things he doesn't mean. With Palin I fear she means every word.
~~~ In Oxford Town, you smell like dead lab rats. ~~~

Sabre

Postby Sabre » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:26 pm

The thing about Biden is that he often says things he doesn't mean. With Palin I fear she means every word.
What then, could he have meant here?

Half Bottle

Postby Half Bottle » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:29 pm

Not much, it was a damningly ignorant statment.

Putt4Par

Postby Putt4Par » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:10 pm

I think the GOP lost the elections today. The news and people's opinions on boards are meciless. Everthing went wrong and it will be difficult to recover. I bet Obama is sitting down drinking a cold one and watching the GOP hang itself.

McCain and his "put the campaign on hold" stunt backfired.

Palin opening her mouth with Katie Couric.

Letterman blasting McCain for cancelling an appearance in his show. He said he had to flight back to DC immediately and a couple hours later he was still in NY giving an interview.

McCain took a big gamble in selecting Palin and unfortunately it is going the wrong way.

Palin to Couric: "I'll find some samples of regulations that McCain proposed and I'llbring 'em to ya'".

Nice. Fast forward 2 years and here we have VP Palin (or maybe even President Palin) meeting with the president of Iran:

VP Palin: “Mister President of Iran–we want you to scrap your nuclear arms program.”

President of Iran: “Why should I? Can you tell me if the Israelis will disarm at the same time? How will I know your word is good?”

VP Palin: “I’ll find some examples and I’ll bring ‘em to yah!”

Now THAT’S diplomacy.

Half Bottle

Postby Half Bottle » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:16 pm

Letterman blasting McCain for cancelling an appearance in his show. He said he had to flight back to DC immediately and a couple hours later he was still in NY giving an interview.
Not only that, he was still in NY even the next morning to attend the Clinton Global Initiative.

I don't know why political campaigns compulsively lie instead of saying the truth even when the truth is the better story. What his team should have said is, "we are canceling our appearance on The Late Show because the economic crisis that is facing our country is serious business. Humor is an important part of the fabric of our society, but there is a time and a place for it and right now it's more important for Senator McCain to fulfill his promise to the American people to put country first. We look forward to going back on Mr. Letterman's show when the crisis is resolved."

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:42 pm

Not much, it was a damningly ignorant statment.
In other words, we have a choice between two ignoramuses, one of whom has been such considerably longer than the other.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Putt4Par

Postby Putt4Par » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:44 pm

Not only that, he was still in NY even the next morning to attend the Clinton Global Initiative.

I don't know why political campaigns compulsively lie instead of saying the truth even when the truth is the better story. What his team should have said is, "we are canceling our appearance on The Late Show because the economic crisis that is facing our country is serious business. Humor is an important part of the fabric of our society, but there is a time and a place for it and right now it's more important for Senator McCain to fulfill his promise to the American people to put country first. We look forward to going back on Mr. Letterman's show when the crisis is resolved."
Halfie for President!! :)

I would have taken that answer (the one you just wrote) gladly.

Pipe

Postby Pipe » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:21 am

Halfie for President!! :)

I would have taken that answer (the one you just wrote) gladly.
Halfie for campaign advisor/manager!
Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Sabre

Postby Sabre » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:50 pm

Yes, Biden has had his "speech" issues too, but that doesn't justify Palin. And at least he has a little more experience!

That is why the VP debate will be fun to watch.
Fun to watch indeed, particularly with a pro-Obama moderator, Gwen Ifill, who has gone so far as to write a book called 'The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama'.

F*#^ing incredible what passes for impartial these days.

David Hilditch

Postby David Hilditch » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:46 pm

Fun to watch indeed, particularly with a pro-Obama moderator, Gwen Ifill, who has gone so far as to write a book called 'The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama'.

I would think that Gwen Ifill would not want to lose her professional reputation for appearing too partial in such a high-profile event.

In any case, what with the focus on Obama, McCain, Palin and the financial crisis, Biden has almost disappeared without trace. So the debate will be important for him as well, I think, to regain some traction.

Sabre

Postby Sabre » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:30 pm

I would think that Gwen Ifill would not want to lose her professional reputation for appearing too partial in such a high-profile event.

In any case, what with the focus on Obama, McCain, Palin and the financial crisis, Biden has almost disappeared without trace. So the debate will be important for him as well, I think, to regain some traction.
Well, I'm glad you said "too impartial", as torecognize some degree of partiality. Her book is to be released on Jan 20, 2009 (I'm sure you see the significance of the date); if the chosen one is sworn in on that day, books are flying off the display tables at the front of Barnes & Noble, if McCain is sworn in, the few books that actually do get printed are tucked away in the back corner. Bottom line, politics aside, she has a financial interest in seeing Obama getting elected. Doesn't that just scream conflict of interest?

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:46 pm

Well, I'm glad you said "too impartial", as torecognize some degree of partiality. Her book is to be released on Jan 20, 2009 (I'm sure you see the significance of the date); if the chosen one is sworn in on that day, books are flying off the display tables at the front of Barnes & Noble, if McCain is sworn in, the few books that actually do get printed are tucked away in the back corner. Bottom line, politics aside, she has a financial interest in seeing Obama getting elected. Doesn't that just scream conflict of interest?
But if Biden is as bad as you seem to have implied then the more exposure he gets, the better for 'Failin' Palin'
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

tds

Postby tds » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:55 pm

The terms of the debates (including moderators) are laid out in great detail in the Memorandum of Understanding agreed by both parties. That Ifill's forthcoming book has been public knowledge for weeks (at least, there may be earlier references) but suddenly becomes a talking point smacks of managed news; not objecting to Ifill 'officially', then seeding this controversy a couple of days before before the debate is probably the smartest move the McCain campaign could have made. Not least because Ifill will be under even more intense scrutiny.

Incidentally, the idea that it's the moderator who will make Palin look a fool seems optimistic, given her recent performances. I'm sure she'll read her 'zingers' well, but once she's off-piste, it's anybody's guess...

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:54 pm

I'm posting this because none of the direct, indisputably proven, factual untruths that Palin has uttered has yet to be retracted by this candidate or her running mate. When you have a leading politician running on a record of outright lies, and those lies are deemed irrelevant, you have a problem. Each one has been fact-checked to near-death. They are not the usual political lie - hyperbole, parsing, exaggeration, spin. They are factual, checkable, indisputable untruths.

Palin could not have asked her girls for permission to accept McCain's veep offer if she also says she accepted the offer unblinkingly and right away. Palin did fire a police chief even as she insisted to a reporter she hadn't. She did violate the confidential medical records of Mike Wooten. She hasn't met with any trade missions from Russia. She does not have any gay friends that anyone can find. She did not oppose the Bridge to Nowhere. She did not sell that plane on eBay. Her Teleprompter did not fail in her convention speech. Alaska's state scientists did not conclude that polar bears were in no danger. She did deny publicly that humans had anything to do with climate change.

Alaska does not provide "nearly 20 percent of the U.S. domestic supply of energy," as she claimed. The gas pipeline she touts as her major "mission accomplished" has not broken ground and may never do so. She did not take a pay-cut as mayor of Wasilla. And on and on. Anyone with Google can check all of these out. Including reporters.

These are all documented, bald-faced factually irrefutable lies. More to the point: she refuses to cop to them or be held accountable for them or take questions about them. Until she does, we can rightly infer there is no reason to believe anything she says, and that includes her recent medical history

Hmmm interesting.
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:59 pm

Hmmmm, what's wrong with this?

Again, he is a nice guy but my father is a nice guy too and he is not running for VP.
Ah yes, the man who was already senile 13 years ago...
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:40 pm

Strange place, here.

The insightfulness can be amazing.

As bad as our candidates are, I guess it could be a squid plot.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Return to “Political Discussion Forum”