Suck, bang, blow.......

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Dummy Pilot

Suck, bang, blow.......

Postby Dummy Pilot » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:33 pm

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: Suck, bang, blow.......

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 pm

International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:13 am

So we put cones in front of the engines to warn folks that they shouldn't be hanging out there due to the suction...

...except that, the presence of the cones requires someone to approach the engine to place and remove the cones, creating a hazard.

Better get the lawyers together to come up with a new process.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:10 pm

not sure I understand precisely what is going on here - what is the operative to the right doing as he reaches across the engine cowling? It looks as though he is trying to remove something, which then gets sucked into the engine? ... this seems rather odd. Context please!
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:15 pm

not sure I understand precisely what is going on here - what is the operative to the right doing as he reaches across the engine cowling? It looks as though he is trying to remove something, which then gets sucked into the engine? ... this seems rather odd. Context please!
While the video if fuzzy, methinks you might want to get an eye exam.

The rampie is moving one of those big orange safety cones...the one on the planes right/our left is more clear (it just sits there and is not sucked in)...The guy picks it up and it gets sucked in.

Ok, the video is really fuzzy and I don't know for sure if I'm right, but I'll bet a beer on it...

Now, to over analyze/parlour talk, I can't tell if theres a hidden up-sucking vortex that grabs the bottom of the cone, or if the rampie sort of flings it so that the base of the cone gets up and into the intake suction.

Indeed I have seen those "mini, ground-touching tornadoes" form in front of jet engines so it could have grabbed the base of the cone...who knows...we need Ardvark2zz to do an analysis or Gabriel to study the aerodynamics.

Anyway, I blame the Japanese.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:53 am

3WE, I failed to see it the first time, but you are right.

The airplane has just arrived. The beacon (that red light blinking atop the fuselage and there tends to be another one below) is on, which typically indicates that one or more engine is on is about to be started. Yet, the ramp guys are putting cones in front of the engine, I don't know why (obviously, this must not be done until the engines are shut down). The cone of the #2 engine stays there (perhaps that engine was already shut down). The other engine is not happy with the cone that is about to be put in front of it, and takes corrective action.

All in all, a very stupid and very lucky move. We could very well be talking about another case of human hamburger.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:29 am

Anyway, I blame the Japanese.
I blame B77W-QOTS.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

tds
Location: ...a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm

Postby tds » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:31 am

All in all, a very stupid and very lucky move. We could very well be talking about another case of human hamburger.
It's hard to tell, but it looks like when it starts moving by itself the rampie instinctively chases it (for an instant) then thinks better of it.

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:51 pm

It's hard to tell, but it looks like when it starts moving by itself the rampie instinctively chases it (for an instant) then thinks better of it.

The quality of the video is low, and I had bad context. Lots of comments on the video indicating it was a purposeful act, which I find implausible. I imagine the repair bill will have been considerable. A new/rebuilt engine ?
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:23 pm

Bump: Unfortunately the movie is now private, but an E-170 sucks a safety cone out of the rampies hand. The cone did died, and the engine probably got rebuilt.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:59 am

I think this is the incident, but a different angle from Dummy’s cancelled video.

https://youtu.be/X0E_YrwpAh8

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:36 am

Bump: Unfortunately the movie is now private, but an E-170 sucks a safety cone out of the rampies hand. The cone did died, and the engine probably got rebuilt.
The rampie was as close to did diededness as it gets. And his underware was a total loss.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”