All-time favorite AD.info moments...

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

All-time favorite AD.info moments...

Postby 3WE » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:00 am

For me, May 7, 2008. Flyboy might possibly have given me a compliment, maybe...

(It is, of course, part of a typically-awesome thread: 10/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=755&p=9710&hilit ... 240a#p9710)
Quote=3BS

Makes sense. RJboy flies several legs a day, in a relatively smaller area, and is therefore more in tune to the regional winds and weather. You also get to make many more landings per day than your average wide-body pilot, and may be making several landings/day at the same airport and the same general weather.

The wide-body pilot may have taken off a couple of cold fronts away, and since it's only their second landing of the month, need to think about how to deal with the wind. I have noticed pilots asking for wind checks during extremely average winds and wondered what the big deal was- especially since they are in this "huge, turbulence-immune" airliner.

Also, I'm sure you wind up focusing much more on "procedures" and "getting there" from your shorter legs, and have limited altitudes that you can choose from, since you may cruise less. Conversely, the widebody guy spends hours at cruise, and may unknowingly engage in extra turbulence-dodging since there isn't much else to keep the flight interesting in between frequency changes.
Quote = flyboy

You know something, 3BS? This may be the first posting you've ever made that might possibly (on a bad enough day on the market) qualify as insightful. Maybe.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

3WE

Re: All-time favorite AD.info moments...

Postby 3WE » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:05 am

And November 14, 2012, another possible compliment, maybe (10/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4714&p=59786&hil ... 393#p59786)
Quote = J

Take heart, Ike:
Excerpt:
U.S. airlines are facing what threatens to be their most serious pilot shortage since the 1960s, with higher experience requirements for new hires about to take hold just as the industry braces for a wave of retirements.

Mr. Darby's firm calculates that all U.S. airlines, including cargo, charter and regional carriers, together employ nearly 96,000 pilots, and will need to find more than 65,000 over the next eight years.

In the past eight years, not quite 36,000 pilots have passed the Federal Aviation Administration's highest test, the Air Transport Pilot exam, which all pilots would have to pass under the congressionally imposed rules.

For passengers, the biggest impact is expected to be at smaller, regional carriers. They have traditionally been a training ground feeding pilots to the bigger airlines, which are expected to step up their poaching.

"Absent a game-changing shift in the supply of" pilots, small to midsize communities "are in jeopardy of losing some, if not all, their scheduled flights," Roger Cohen, president of the Regional Airline Association, said in a July speech.

More than half of U.S. airline pilots are over 50, said Mr. Darby, the consultant, reflecting a bulge in new hires in the 1980s and scant hiring over the past decade.

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 23634.html
Quote = flyboy

My credibility list:

569. 3BS
570. Kit Darby.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:10 am

And Sopdu knows, how many ITS posts.

ITS on the Civil Air Patrol here and another place or two was priceless.

10/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1095&p=13693&hil ... 10e#p13693

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:46 am

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:12 pm - Everyone's favorite moment.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:59 am

Sunday, December 18, 2022, 9:00 am Central Time.

Oh, you said in the forum? Sorry, my bad.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”